Friday, July 03, 2009

Goat Cheese


I have been milking two of my Nigerian Dwarf goat does for a few weeks now and the milk was starting to pile up in the fridge. So tonight, I figured it was time to make some goat cheese with some of it.

My recipe for French Style Goat Cheese calls for using 5 quarts of milk (I had plenty). First I pasteurized the milk by heating it to 161F for 30 seconds. Then quickly cooled it in a ice bath in the sink to return the milk to 80F. I added a Mesophilic DVI culture and some rennet, stirred well, covered the pot and let it set at room temperature for the night.

I started this cheese late so it was 9:30pm when I was setting it out to culture. It needs to culture for 8-12 hours so I will strain it when I get up in the morning.

Sorry no photos, the batteries in the camera were dead and I couldn't wait to charge them first.

No comments: