Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Garden Dreams

I'm not sure why it happened but I pinched a nerve in my lower back yesterday and I have been immobile since it happened. I actually had to call into work this morning to tell them I couldn't make it in. I never call in sick!

On the bright side, a bunch of books arrived yesterday from Amazon.com that I had been waiting for and I actually had nothing else I could do but sit and read for 12 hours. I have read or skimmed through all of them and had been pleased with them all. These are the books I got:

  • Goats, Small-Scale Herding for Pleasure and Profit by Sue Weaver
  • Chickens, Tending a Small-Scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit by Sue Weaver
  • Keeping a Family Cow by Joann S. Grohman
  • The Family Cow by Dirk van Loon
  • All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
  • Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden by Lewis Hill
So, all day today I have spent planning out our future cow & goat barn and have a plan for our homestead orchard all laid out! I feel so productive! I just wish I could order the plants now and get them in the ground so they would be rooted in by the time we moved up to the farm. Alas, the timing is not right and the trip we have planned next week doesn't give us enough time to order or plant. As with all our other grand plans I am just going to have to be patient.

No comments: