Friday, October 31, 2008

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

After carving the pumpkins yesterday I saved the seeds to be roasted. I ran out of time last night so this afternoon I roasted them up so the kids and I could snack on them. Traditionally, I have only roasted and salted them (which is yummy) but this year I thought I would do something a bit different. I made a candied version that the kids much preferred:

Candied Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon butter

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until dry and toasted. Larger seeds may take longer.

In a clean bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of white sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside. Heat the butter and remaining sugar in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sugar is melted. Add the pumpkin seeds and stir about 45 seconds. Pour seeds into the bowl with the spiced sugar and stir until coated. Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature (if they last that long).

2 comments:

homemoma said...

they look yummy but i have a question. do you clean them first and then roast the insides only or do you roast the entire thing? one thing that has held me back from roasting is taking off the seed shells(or how do you call those things that cover the inside?). or are they edible also?

Diana said...

No, I think that would be too much work for anyone! Just wash the seeds (hull and all) to remove the strings and slippery film covering them. Once dry you are ready to start roasting. You eat them hull and all (or at least we do and I think most other people do to). Good lcuk!